Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Field Training

Maxwell Air Force Base

The other morning during my Air Force academic class we watched a video on Field Training. Up until then I had seen no pictures nor really heard any good descriptions of what anything would look like. I had just heard stories of experiences. The video was about 20 minutes long and I got a whole new look on what things will be like. I got to see the dorms, dining facility, PT pad. It was incredible! Finally being able to see the place where I will be spending 28 days of my summer. It made me want to get to Field Training right then and there and get started. While I am very excited about going, I cannot seem to figure out if I am more nervous or pumped just to go. I guess it must just be a strong combination of both.

One thing that has been so hard this summer is balancing ROTC with school. Sometimes I forget that the whole reason I am here is to get a degree for college and that I’m not just here to train with the Air Force. It is exhausted and stressful to figure out how I am going to accomplish things. I don’t just want to get things done, I want to do them and be amazing at it. I need to know that I did everything to the best of my ability and got great grades as well!

Sometimes I feel like I need to let some homework slip or miss some classes just so I can do well on the ROTC side of things. I find it so hard to find the right balance. I know that I want good grades and an excellent GPA when I graduate so it is important to do well in school. But on the other hand being in the Air Force is my future, it is going to be my career. Therefore everything that I do in AFROTC will translate to the Air Force and help me in getting jobs and located at nice Air Force bases.

As the end of this semester comes to a close, the one thing that I see and have learned is that no matter what I always need to try. I need to try and do my best, try and do the most that I can, and try to just keep going. It is definitely easy to slip into laziness and its so important for me to continue even when its hard.

And more to follow…

No comments:

Post a Comment