Thursday, April 12, 2012

Intro to Air Force



As a FSU student involved in AFROTC (Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps), I see life on campus quite differently than other students. I joined ROTC thinking my life at FSU would be fairly comparable to that of my peers and expected maybe a few extra classes here and a few PT (Physical Training) sessions there. I was in for a wake up call! Not only is AFROTC not relaxed, it is incredibly competitive. I never realized that I would be fighting with everything in me to secure my spot in the Air Force! I came in as a sophomore into the program but most start as freshmen. I had to learn what other cadets had spent a year learning, in one semester. It has been stressful and often frustrating. I have had to learn to drill and march, the correct procedures for PT, how to salute and greet officers, the flag procedures such as reveille and retreat (reveille is putting up the flag, retreat is taking it down), how to wear and care for uniforms, how to write an official memo and conduct a briefing, and so many other things. I have worked hard each and every day and sought out help whenever and wherever I could find it.

This spring semester was when the 200s (sophomores) went up for their EAs (Entry Allocations, basically means you got an officer slot) so we had to buckle down and put our all into it to prove that we wanted to be there. My hard work payed off and now I am training hard to prepare for Field Training this summer.

Field Training is 28 days in Alabama where we train to be excellent leaders. It is still possible to get kicked out if you do not do well but it is a rare thing.Through this blog I will take you along my journey this semester and what I'll be expecting from here on out. I'll try and explain all acronyms and give details on all ROTC related things. It can be quite confusing if you do not know anything military related! I know I am still learning A LOT everyday!

Over and Out til tomorrow... If I get around to blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment